Monday, May 20, 2013

Jewish Environmental Activist Saving Seeds and the Rain Forest


St. Louis native Tom Newmark does more than write a check to his favorite environmental charity. The grandfather and attorney works tirelessly to protect the environment, tending his own organic farm in Central America.
Newark, who is also the founder of Sacred Seeds, a St. Louis based seed bank, said he has always been fascinated by the outdoors.
“I spent a lot of time hiking the rivers and exploring the ponds of our area, a lot of time in the Ozarks, a lot of time in the less developed areas of the county,” he said, adding that his father, Melvin, was also a major influence in his life.
“He was a very dedicated horticulturist,” Newmark said. “Every weekend, I’d accompany him out in the garden and we’d sit and talk. He helped develop my love and appreciation for nature.” His father also worked hard to instill him with Jewish values early on.
“I think if there were a central casting call for Moses, my dad would be exactly the person you’d want in the play both in physical appearance and demeanor,” he said. “I am proud to be part of that uninterrupted continuum of Jewish experience.”
Today, Newmark spends most of his time advocating for the environment and encouraging others to conserve the planet.
“He can make a more powerful and persuasive case for the preservation of these incredibly endangered habitats than anyone I’ve ever met,” Kate Danna, director of development for Friends of the Children’s Eternal Rainforest in St. Louis, said. “He just lives and breathes conservation.” His dedication to environmental causes has also helped strengthen his Jewish roots.
“My temple is the rainforest right now,” he said. “My spirituality is not defined by my Judaism. My Jewish identity is enriched by my environmental ethic and my planetary spirituality.”

No comments:

Post a Comment